- Scope – a definition of the subject covered by the pathfinder.
- An introduction to this is in… – typically an encyclopedia or specialised dictionary.
- Books – alerting readers to relevant subject terms.
- Reference Works – citations for specific books.
- Bibliographies – lists of sources which are too long to include in the pathfinder.
- Journal Articles – referring readers to indexes.
- Journals – referring readers to journals and magazines to browse that might have some information.
- Reviews, government sources, etc. – other sources as appropriate.